[OSM-talk] Wikipedia POI import?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue May 5 20:15:40 BST 2009

Frederik Ramm wrote:
>Thomas Wood wrote:
>> Where's ShakespeareFan00 when you need him? :)
> That poor guy has been told by some self-important OSMers that
> Wikimapia was an unacceptable source, and they somehow forgot
> to say that this is just the OSM interpretation. SFan00 dutifully
> started removing Wikimapia references from Wikipedia ("they're
> unacceptable, you know"), and ended up on the receiving end of
> a lot of justified Wikipedians' anger.

You are very charitable, Frederik (well, maybe not to those of us who you've
just called self-important :) ) - probably too charitable. Yes, he did ask
whether he should import them to OSM, and we replied no. To that question,
nothing else. He also asked "so I should remove them from Wikipedia?" (or
something along those lines) and was told that #osm has no power over, or
indeed interest in, Wikipedia.

Why he, or you, or anyone should take comments in #osm to mean "oh, you
should do this in Wikipedia" without even questioning it or - heavens above
- asking some Wikipedia people, I don't know.

cheers
Richard