[OSM-talk] Wikipedia POI import?

Jacek Konieczny jajcus at jajcus.net
Wed May 6 11:33:19 BST 2009

On Tue, May 05, 2009 at 02:00:42PM -0400, Russ Nelson wrote:
> Any reason not to go through Wikipedia and import everything with a
> coordinate as a POI, with a url=http://wikipedia.org/NAME link, and
> name=NAME where NAME is the name of the Wikipedia entry?

This would add a lot of data with no review. A lot of duplicates will be
created making confusion about which one is more correct.

Now, if a place is missing in OSM anybody can look it up in Wikipedia
anyway and put it in OSM. That would be well-thought-out decision and
even if wrong, that is a single mistake. Much less probable someone
alive would add a duplicate or outdated information.

And what is a use of Wikipedia POIs in areas where we have no other map
data in OSM and no mappers to verify the import?

IMHO it is much better to have good data then to have a lot of data.

I see no reason for an automated import of that data.

Greets,
        Jacek