[OSM-talk] Wikipedia POI import?

Jonathan Bennett openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk
Wed May 6 12:11:42 BST 2009

Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> You don't need multiple values. Other languages are linked in Wikipedia,
> no need to duplicate this in OSM.
>
> If a place is described in 20 national Wikipedias do we really want 20
> wikipedia=XX:<name> tags in OSM when only single wikipedia=XX:<name>
> links to all the pages?

If you want to be able to render maps for a specific language or
territory, yes. Having the WP shortcut version means that if I wanted to
link to the English version of a WP page when we have only the Polish
version, I have to retrieve the Polish page from WP and parse it to find
the link to the English version. This means I can't do this rendering
offline, and would slow the job down somewhat.

> And more. You need no special handling for wikipedia=XX: links.

Except you do -- special handling from an OSM point of view. The

--
Jonathan (Jonobennett)