[OSM-talk] Wikipedia POI import?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed May 6 23:52:15 BST 2009

Hi,

Russ Nelson wrote:
> When somebody enters a POI, we look in
> Wikipedia for that entity, and we link to the Wikipedia page and
> replace its lat/lon with our own.

* Possible if both Wikipedia and OSM are CC-BY-SA.

* Impossible if you assume that the lat/lon is subejct to copyright and
Wikipedia is GFDL (unsure what their current status is).

* Very interesting if OSM should go ODbL. ODbL would allow the re-use of
insubstantial amounts of data (one lat/lon pair = cleary insubstantial)
but request that the repeated extraction of insubstantial amounts of
data into another database would at some point constitute a derivative
process and force you to put the other database under ODbL, something
that would not be possible with Wikipedia. The latest drafts have some
wording about "compatible" licenses but it is unclear to me if that
could be used to declare CC-BY-SA "compatible".

Bye
Frederik