[OSM-talk] Languages

Stephan Plepelits skunk at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Thu May 7 10:59:54 BST 2009

On Thu, May 07, 2009 at 11:41:43AM +0200, Pieren wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 11:25 AM, "Marc Schütz" <schuetzm at gmx.net> wrote:
> >>    name=Bergstrasse
>
> How do we know if the tag "name" is German ? Well, because it's a geo
> db and we know where the element is. Make the live of contributors
> easy and let software working hard for us.

Yes, we know where an element is. But how do we know what is the language
in that part of the planet? Am I supposed to maintain a separate database
with this knowledge?

Which are the countries with german language?
- Germany (ok, that's easy)
- Austria (people who don't confuse it with Austrlia should know)
- Switzerland (but not in all parts)
- Some villages in Brazil I suppose
- In Trannsylvania it might have been relevant, but the German population
  decreased in the last century

You see, it's not that easy ...

greetings,
        Stephan
--
Seid unbequem, seid Sand, nicht Öl im Getriebe der Welt! - Günther Eich