[OSM-talk] Possible import of Metro, Oregon "Bike There!" data

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Fri May 8 22:25:27 BST 2009

Just a heads up to everyone, Metro DRC is holding a staff meeting on
Monday regarding moving to a crowdsourced model to maintain the map.  I
contacted the Bike There lead yesterday, who informed me this morning
that my timing was impeccable, and my expressed interest in merging this
data in OSM will be used by the staffer I contacted to aggressively
campaign for making the Bike There data public domain and getting it
merged into our map.

Currently, Portland's map contains two complete NCN routes (I-84, I-205)
, one RCN (Oregon 99/Interstate Bridge), and an incomplete LCN (The 40
Mile Loop Greenway).  Notably missing is the entire Portland LCN
(consisting of literally dozens of bicycle boulevards and thousands of
miles of bicycle lane), and the RCN "Willamette Valley Greenway"
(ref=WV) opening this summer connecting to Salem.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=45.521&lon=-122.571&zoom=10&layers=00B0FTF

Once the import is complete, cyclists travelling in or to Portland won't
necessarily be forced to wear out any more $7 paper maps in the constant
drizzle anymore, and hopefully the quality of the data will improve
rapidly over previous editions.