[OSM-talk] Live Data - all new Data in OSM

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Wed May 13 16:31:46 BST 2009

2009/5/13 Jonathan Bennett <openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk>:
> andrzej zaborowski wrote:
>> You might be missing out on a cool visualisation tool though (maybe
>> what Bernhard is trying doing is similar), but that's the only use
>> case I can think of right now.
>
> How does that help anyone a) use the data, or b) improve the data? See
> ITO's OSM Mapper if you want a *useful* visualisation tool. No live
> stream needed there.

Cool visualisation tools don't have to comply with a) or b), they just
need to be cool :)

>> What is a little worrying is that, as far as I see, there's no simple
>> way to get a copy of the osm data (as in, everything that's in the
>> database), even a week old -- because the planet file is only a
>> "projection" of the data on a plane.
>
> I have no idea what a "projection of the data on a plane" is, unless
> you're talking about an in-flight OSM movie. The planet file is
> everything that's in the database, barring history info.

Yup, barring history info.  One of the dimensions is thrown away, this
operation is called projection.

I don't say I need to have a use case for the full database, but in
any project it's only fair to give contributors a way to download the
entire database with the data they created.

Cheers