[OSM-talk] Live Data - all new Data in OSM

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed May 13 16:48:40 BST 2009

Hi,

Jonathan Bennett wrote:
> andrzej zaborowski wrote:
>> You might be missing out on a cool visualisation tool though (maybe
>> what Bernhard is trying doing is similar), but that's the only use
>> case I can think of right now.
>
> How does that help anyone a) use the data, or b) improve the data? See
> ITO's OSM Mapper if you want a *useful* visualisation tool. No live
> stream needed there.

Who are you to say what is useful and what isn't? The presentation from
SOTM 2007 that I remember most vividly - the "wiggly maps" - was also
the most useless.

Every day someone says "let's not map <some detail here> because it is
useless", and our mantra is "maybe it is just your limited imagination
that makes this look useless". Why suddenly this very different attitude
of yours?

I fully agree that streaming is probably a niche thing, a nice-to-have
and not a must-have, and I have no problem if the idea is treated as a
small priority. But dismissing it just because your imagination is too
limited...?

Bye
Frederik