[OSM-talk] Live Data - all new Data in OSM

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed May 13 18:30:29 BST 2009

Hi,

Matt Amos wrote:
> i think if we can get the delay on the diffs down from 5 mins to under
> 2 mins then there's no reason why streaming can't be built on top of
> the diffs and be able to support all the things people want to do with
> streaming.

What you are talking about is "simulated streaming" not real streaming.
But it would be a good start; establish some kind of simulated streaming
that is based on the diffs and costs us almost nothing (can be done by
someone on their own server off-site!), and when interesting
applications spring from this where everybody says "oh if these could
only be real-time instead of 2 minutes delayed" then one an still work
on providing the same stream in a live fashion.

By the way, if someone really wants to chase the edge of the database by
always downloading the latest minute diff, what is the suggested way to
do this? If he makes only one GET request per minute then the diff he is
looking for might already be 59 seconds delayed ;-) can any of today's
hip & trendy messaging protocols be used to painlessly notify anyone who
is interested that "there's a new diff ready", instead of having
over-eager scripts poll the directory every 10 seconds?

Bye
Frederik