[OSM-talk] more OSM coming soon

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Wed May 13 22:37:26 BST 2009

On Wed, 2009-05-13 at 22:12 +0100, Thomas Wood wrote:
> 2009/5/13 Ivo van den Maagdenberg <ivo.vdmaagdenberg at gmail.com>:
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > This is some sort of quality of service question. Half of all the tiles on
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org render as 'more OSM coming soon'. I want to
> > know if I am doing something wrong (Ubuntu 8.10 + firefox 3.0 + reasonable
> > hardware)
>
> The tiles display this in the case of network troubles where the
> server isn't reachable, they're also displayed if the tile hasn't yet
> been rendered (and is present on the server's disk) and when it's not
> possible to render on the fly. Otherwise, the tile is added to the
> render queue and should be available at some point shortly in the
> future.
>
> > Showing OSM to a friend that has not seen 'the Map' does not give a good
> > impression this way. A solution is to implement some sort of double
> > buffering where the old tiles are kept for display until the new one has
> > properly rendered? Well, that's maybe impossible, but it would improve the
> > responsiveness of the http://www.openstreetmap.org at the moment.
>
> I believe this is already the case.

There is a cache of tiles which is used when the rendering can not keep
up. The weekly planet import is running at the moment and I have
temporarily turned of the re-rendering of tiles so you will only seeing
tiles from the cache right now.

I'm in the middle of making some updates to the server to migrate the
cached tiles and rendering database to an external disk array which will
speed things up quite a bit. All the old tiles should still be
available, but the live rendering probably won't restart until some time
tomorrow.

If you really must see an image which has not been rendered, the export
tab should still produce an image for you.

	Jon