[OSM-talk] Corine Land Cover becomes a potential OSM data source...

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Thu May 14 14:12:04 BST 2009

On 14/05/09 11:23, Christoph Boehme wrote:
> We are currently importing public transport information for the UK
> (NaPTAN) and are having a similar problem with existing data in OSM. Our
> approach is to tag the imported data specially so that it can easily be
> found in the database but does not show up on the map (i.e. all imported
> bus stops are tagged with source=naptan_import but do not have
> highway=bus_stop tag). Mappers can then check the imported data and
> "activate" bus stops by adding a highway=bus_stop tag to it or copy the
> imported tags over to an existing OSM bus stop.

Has consideration been given in any future API/database schema updates
of having support for layers, like e.g. the GIMP does it for graphics?
So you could import data into a new layer with all the appropriate tags
and then "merge down" as appropriate. The slippy map would only show the
base layer. This sort of support might also be useful for people reusing
OSM software and schemas who want to overlay their own data onto the OSM
data.

Gerv