[OSM-talk] Yahoo has very bad resolution images of Croatia, why?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Sat May 16 19:37:59 BST 2009

2009/5/16 Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivan at sanchezortega.es>:
> El Sábado, 16 de Mayo de 2009, Valent Turkovic escribió:
>> So how to persuade Yahoo to refresh satellite images of Croatia in
>> high resolution?
>
> Money. Piles and piles of money.
>
>> We really need higher resolution images in order to make better
>> openstreetmaps for Croatia.
>
> I encourage you to talk with Croatia's "State Geodetic Administration"
> (www.dgu.hr) . They should have both maps and aerial images, and asking them
> for permission won't hurt.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> ----------------------------------
> Iván Sánchez Ortega <ivan at sanchezortega.es>
>
> Mi ordenador me gana jugando al ajedrez pero yo le gano boxeando.

My reasoning was that the images are already available to yahoo but
that they don't enable it for whole planet, and that only urban areas
have enabled high-resolution images.

If I'm right then the cost to enable high-resolution images are
minimal. But it the images aren't available and Yahoo needs to capture
them first then there is a lot of cost involved, and my request is
foolish without bags of money ;)

Can somebody please clarify if it is possible to expect high
resolution satellite Croatian images from Yahoo for OpenStreetMap? We
are volunteers so obviously we have no money to give to Yahoo for
making new satellite images.

How come that Hungary has such detailed high resolution images? Did
Hungarian government pay loads of money to Yahoo?

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic