[OSM-talk] Reverting Changes....

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Mon May 18 15:45:34 BST 2009

On 18/05/2009 15:26, Andy Allan wrote:
> On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Chris Fleming <me at chrisfleming.org> wrote:
>> In just spotted a pile of changes that someone made that seem to have
>> done more harm than good:
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/1008885
>>
>> What's the current thinking on "un-doing" changes; is it worth
>> contacting the person involved, Checking if anything useful was done?
>
> If it's not deliberate vandalism (e.g. someone writing "OSM Suxxors"
> across the north Atlantic) then contact them first, offer assistance
> etc.
>
> Better to offer to help them fix it than to fix it first and talk later.

It looks to me like yet again someone hasn't realised changes made in
Potlatch are live. There was also someone complaining about this on the
diary pages recently. I think it is worth asking what happened when
talking to them (if it is an unintended mistake).

The open-edit-save mentality is completely ingrained in the way people
use programs (even though it's a historical accident of the way things
grew up in computing, and isn't actually true of most desktop database
programs either, like Access and FileMaker) and so they are surprised
when it comes tome to save their changes (or abandon them).

And despite the blaring warnings on first use, it's quite apparent that
many people just don't read what's in front of them (nor do they try to
read help - "I couldn't figure out the way to do such and such").

David