[OSM-talk] zones for motorway/in town/outof town?

Radomir Cernoch radomir.cernoch at gmail.com
Wed May 20 11:59:05 BST 2009

Hi,

I would like to ask about the proposed feature 'trafficzone'. If I
understand it right, it proposes to add a tag to _every_ highway and
_every_ road in the city. I'm afraid that this solution is highly
redundant in the amount of information and therefore it's likely that
someone will forgot to add the right tag.

In the Czech list we ended up with the following solution, which tries
to copy the legislation (which is a good starting point, I guess):

1) Every road is by default 'rural' road (speed limit 90 km/h).
2) Every highway has speed limit 130 km/h by default.
3) If a road is inside a polygon tagging the city limits,
   then its speed limit is set to 50 km/h. Such polygon might be tagged
   by 'place', but the actual name of the tag is not important here.
4) If a road has different speed limit from rules 1) - 3), it is tagged
   with 'maxspeed=...'.

By this scheme it's easy to set the speed limits right very quickly on
most roads, because it only requires to add the polygon with 'place' tag
(or any other name we agree on). At the same time you can set the speed
limits as detailed as you want to.

The default speed limits and rules can be set differently from country
to country of course. For example in the Czech Republic, we would add a
rule 3.1: for every 'trunk' road in the city polygon, limit is 80 km/h.
And lastly the default rules differ for car/truck/...

However we have not discussed other countries. Germany seem to be
compatible with this system, but what about the rest of the world?

Regards,
Radek Černoch