[OSM-talk] zones for motorway/in town/outof town?

MP singularita at gmail.com
Wed May 20 13:16:05 BST 2009

I wonder, can we have at some place (wiki?) some definition file that
will specify these per-country default limits in some machine-readable
way?

This could look like this:

country(cz) {

 maxspeed=90

 (highway=motorway|trunk) {
  maxspeed=130
  foot=no
  bicycle=no
 }

 is_in_polygon(place=city|hamlet|village|town) {
  maxspeed=50
 }

 is_in_polygon(place=city|hamlet|village|town) && (highway=motorway|trunk) {
  maxspeed=80
 }

}

the example is simplified from reality (there are different speed
limits for trucks/buses/etc...), but if we would have something like
this, it would help when building routing software. Perhaps some XML
could be used instead of these made-up C-like syntax :)

Also, I think in USA there are different limits in different states,
so we could have rules also for smaller regions than countries in few
cases.

>  Often one driving through a city will pass one "start of the place" sign
>  (with place name) and several times "start of built up zone" and "end of
>  built up zone" before the "end of the place" sign. So we would need
>  different polygons for built up zones than for place administrative
>  boundaries (which are IMHO not less important, unless we want OSM be
>  a road map only).

either use landuse=residential for these or some other tag specific to
poland (and perhaps countries with similar driving rules) and then use
rule like

 is_in_polygon(place=city|hamlet|village|town) &&
is_in_polygon(landuse=residential || place=build_up_area) {
  maxspeed=50
 }

Martin