[OSM-talk] (no subject)

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu May 21 09:21:20 BST 2009

Most websites will give the terms under which content can be used, and
these are no exception - they can't! At least not with negotiation with
the vendors to permit CCbySA licensing.

For example, under Important Notices the first two sites say:

"The material on this site is covered by the provisions of the Copyright
Act, by Canadian laws, policies, regulations and international
agreements. Such provisions serve to identify the information source
and, in specific instances, to prohibit reproduction of materials
without written permission."

and in the second two, the user guides contain highly restrictive
licence agreements.

It is very unusual to find a source of map data that is not copyright
and can just be used. Doesn't mean its not worth exploring with the
authorities to see it an agreement can be reached, but just grabbing
someone else's data is almost never going to work.

There's also already an ongoing project to import data for Canada which
has been agreed after negotiation.

David