[OSM-talk] GPS Future Was Re: Satellite for OSM

D Tucny d at tucny.com
Thu May 21 15:10:32 BST 2009

2009/5/21 Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org>

> 2009/5/21 Joe Richards <joefish75 at yahoo.com>:
> >

> > Where did this idea go in the end? It seems the talk about it
> petered-out, or was some action agreed (along with who was going to
> undertake it)?
> >

> > Given the US have forgotten to keep the GPS system up to date, maybe
> > we need a few satelites of our own to replace it... Or maybe we can
> > use Galileo once its up instead.....
> >
> > This was more about high-resolution aerial photography suitable for
> deriving traces.
> >
> > As for geopositioning satellites, I doubt the US military-industrial
> complex (or its adherents in places like Europe) will allow such a key
> technology to fall into real disrepair. Plus with future civilian receivers
> combining signals from Galileo and GPS, alongside radio signals, the future
> is actually looking brighter than ever...
> >

> I agreed but the newspapers here in the UK are saying here, that the
> updates to GPS are running two years late and its highly unlike that
> there will be no interruptions. around the 2020 date unless the US
> Airforce find some more satellites quickly. Of course we never believe
> what they put in the Press......
>
> Apparently this could all play into Galileos hands.

Isn't it the plan that Galileo will operate on the same frequencies as the
current US GPS using the same protocol, just with offset satellite IDs such
that even current GPSrs should be able to use both? Also if I recall
correctly there were talks about the russian/indian GLONASS system being
modified to also work with the same frequencies etc as the existing US
GPS... If this all comes to fruit and GPSrs are able to cope with all of
these additional signals, there will be an additional 60 satellites
providing signals by 2020, so even in the unlikely event that the US GPS
happens to be running a bit low on satellites, it shouldn't be enough for
anyone to notice much should it?