[OSM-talk] Potlatch 1.0 broken non-ASCII input on Mac OS X?

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Mon May 25 10:52:10 BST 2009

Woll Newall wrote:
> Potlatch 1.0 seems to have broken the input of non-ASCII characters
> in tags.
>
> I'm running Potlatch inside the Safari browser on Mac OS X.
>
> Before Potlatch 1.0 I could type in Japanese characters into the
> tags, but now the Japanese hiragana and katakana entries in the
> Kotoeri input menu are disabled when I'm in Potlatch (so only
> ASCII text can be entered, even in Japanese input mode).

Entering non-ASCII text (e.g. é î å ë) works fine for me here, using Safari
4 on OS X 10.4. I think we'd have heard by now if there was a universal
problem!

Though I wouldn't know Kotoeri from Coco the clown, I've just played around
for five minutes, enabled it in System Preferences -> International, and
have managed to successfully select the Hiragana and Katakana entries from
the input menu while using Potlatch. The Kana palette then allows me to
enter characters - not the ones I'd expect, but this is probably because
I've started the browser with en-GB as the language and Flash Player tends
to be sensitive to that.

There's a new mailing list called potlatch-dev where such issues are best
discussed. :)

cheers
Richard