[OSM-talk] How to tag small city alley ?

Ben Laenen benlaenen at gmail.com
Tue May 26 21:07:46 BST 2009

On Tuesday 26 May 2009, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Ben Laenen wrote:
> > It's clearly a public road so you shouldn't use highway=service
> > here.
>
> Alleyways are clearly public roads, and those are highway=service
> service=alley...

But I think there's a big difference in alleys that should be tagged
with highway=service and between the alley on the picture: that alley
is a small street, where everyone can walk if even you don't need to be
there, and houses have their main entrance on that little street.

I thought the kind of alleys for highway=service are used for the small
alleys that go to back entrances, or where for example garbage is
stored outside. The only time you would get there (even if it can be a
public road) is when you need to be there.

So they may both be called alley, but I think there's a big difference
between the two. And the latter is much more in tune with the other
usages of highway=service. And if I read the map features page, it
seems to suggest alleys of the second kind as well.

Ben