[OSM-talk] script to cut a big OSM map into letter or A4 size papers

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Wed May 27 21:05:55 BST 2009

2009/5/27 Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net>:

> Matt Amos wrote:
>> i've found that printers often prefer high resolution images
>> over PDFs, but these are also pretty easy to generate. for the
>> mappa mercia A0 print [1] it looks like 9934 x 14046 (300dpi)
>> was a good resolution.
>
> <puts professional hat on>
>
> We send the magazine to the printers as PDFs, _but_ we always embed the maps
> into each page as high-resolution TIFFs (i.e. non-lossy) - usually 300dpi
> CMYK.
>
> The big advantage of doing it this way is that you avoid any font (or other)
> embedding problems. The alternative is to convert the text to outlines
> before saving it in your vector format of choice (PDF/EPS/Illustrator),
> which also works well. In theory you can embed the fonts in the PDF if the
> font permissions are ok, but generally you only find out that this hasn't
> worked once 25,000 copies have come back from the printers.
>
> If you pick up a copy of the Waterways World Annual 2009 (for which someone
> else did the maps, not me) you'll see we have a map of the Broads without
> any rivers on it. :|
>
> cheers
> Richard

I'm not sure I really want to use PDF but I'm thinking that the
standard map rendering is not always the best solution and that there
must be some way of offering choice,

So we can offer a 1:50000 map of where ever that is 1:50000 for the
whole piece of paper or screen being viewed, Even if the map can't be
a slippy map and needs to be used more like a book. Only problem then
is we are back the situation where the place you want is always on the
fold.....

Strength being, Its something I've not seen and a strength I've not seen done.

Peter.