[OSM-talk] How to tag small city alley ?

Greg Troxel gdt at ir.bbn.com
Fri May 29 01:19:23 BST 2009

  I'd agree that service isn't quite right, if that's the front of the
  buildings. But similarly residential isn't right either (I guess we all
  think of that as something with pavements/sidewalks).

residential doesn't imply sidewalks in my area

  So is there any objection to highway=pedestrian+bicycle=yes+motorcycle=yes?

I think the real issue is that these ways are what one would call
"public rights of way" in the UK, or "public ways" in the US, and one
can legally walk on them for no apparent reason, but they don't allow
cars.  If that's true, then it probably should be highway=residential
with car=no but I think what this is all pointing out is that our road
tagging is very car centric.  Perhaps we just need a
motorized-4-wheels=no somehow.