[OSM-talk] Suggestion for JOSM

Mon Nov 2 08:12:14 GMT 2009

Nop wrote:
> It has been suggested several times, that the possibility to do this
> indirectly be removed from JOSM altogether and having corrected many
> bad direct uploads I am rather in favour of this.

Potlatch enables you to convert a GPS track to a way by clicking
"Edit" beside the track (in the "GPS Traces" listing), then selecting
"Convert track to ways" when Potlatch loads. There is no option _not_
to simplify the track on import; it runs Douglas-Peucker over it, and
I would commend this forced simplification to the JOSM devs. Ways are
automatically split after an interval of n seconds.

I find it works very well for long country roads where manual tracing
of a 50-mile sinuous course would be both exasperating and (for most
mappers) low resolution. One of the reasons I added it is that I was
fed up of seeing people trace lovely bendy rural roads with 45-degree
angles.

But, yes, you'd be insane to use it in urban areas.

cheers
Richard