[OSM-talk] Illegal activity

Peteris Krisjanis pecisk at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 13:35:52 GMT 2009

2009/11/2 David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com>:
> On 02/11/2009 13:11, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
>> El Domingo, 1 de Noviembre de 2009, Anthony escribió:
>>> Yes, a collection of aerial images is a database.  But a single aerial
>>> image is probably not.
>>
>> Heck, a single aerial image *is* a database of pixels :-D
>
> By analogy then, so is this email a database of words and characters,
> but that's a perverse interpretation, not what most people would call a
> database, and certainly not for the purposes of EU database copyright
> where a database is "a collection of independent works, data or other
> materials which: (a) are arranged in a systematic or methodical way; and
> (b) are individually accessible by electronic or other means", the key
> word being "independent".

If I am not mistaken, one definition what I heard from people with
insight in this field is that
sat/ort photos are databases of the facts. Fact isn't copyrightable,
but database of them - is.

Anyway, unless we have some rich guy who are willing to take this to
at least several courts in several countries, it is better to assume
the worst.

Cheers,
Peter.