[OSM-talk] Mountain Passes - Display Issue

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 3 01:37:25 GMT 2009

Patrick Kilian schrieb:
> Hi all,
>
>>> Just to bring to the group's notice. I added a few mountain passes a
>>> couple of days ago along with the hiking trails and waypoints
>>>
>>> When I now check on OSM, while the trails are there along with the
>>> waypoints, the passes are missing. However, when I download data from
>>> OSM using JOSM, I can see the passes along with the elevations.
>>>
>>> Any clue whats the reason for not displaying on the renderer?
>> Except for JOSM, I currently don't know any renderer that displays
>> mountain_pass=yes at all (if there's any, please let us know :-)
>
> As of revision 18423 osmarender (the renderer used by tiles at home) does
> too. It even renders name and ele(vation) if available.

Ah, sounds reeaaallly coooool ;-)

Any idea when this will appear on the main OSM maps?

>> Problem here: JOSM simply displays a bridge like icon, but doesn't care
>> about the direction (north, south, ...).
> Osmarender does the same for single nodes...

To my knowledge, most of the mountain_pass=yes are connected to some (at
  least highway=path) ways.

>> A "correct renderer" should display a mountain pass somehow like a
>> bridge usually is displayed, following the direction of the way.
> ... but aligns the icon along the way if the way is tagged with a track
> or highway tag. This is implemented with a wayMarker rule as mentioned
> by Dodi and uses a symbol very similar to the one mentioned by Ulfl.

Sounds cool. Do you have an example on the map, where it already is
rendered this way?

>> As the mountain_pass is tagged as a node, it's unfortunately not that
>> easy to get that direction, so renderers simply tend to ignore this tag
>> completely :-(
> Once a significant amount of the nodes without a way attached have a tag
> indicating direction I can add that to osmarender as well.

My observation is that almost any mountain_pass=yes node is connected to
some kind of way, so I don't think this is very urgent.

Regards, ULFL