[OSM-talk] Will Google ever use OSM data?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 04:40:16 GMT 2009

2009/11/3 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
> True.  I should have said "a non-copyleft license" rather than "public
> domain".  CC-BY would probably be easier to implement than public
> domain, actually.

Actually that's a good point, with CC-BY-SA it's obvious where it came
from, public domain can take a lot of effort to prove it's public
domain.

> It's geodata.  The binary is the source.

It's data, not source code, however that wasn't my point, my point was
GPL requires you distribute the source code if you distribute
binaries, CC-BY-SA doesn't require any such thing, you can convert the
data into raster format and still not be required to distribute the
modified data, although it is encouraged.