[OSM-talk] [tagging] alley - for tree-lined roads?

Robert ropino at online.de
Tue Nov 3 12:54:32 GMT 2009

Hello,

We are discussing in talk-de (German board) just streets and other ways
with many trees nearby.

I found here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:natural%3Dtree
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Proposed_features/tree_row
alley=left/right/both

I think the tag “alley” is a mistranslation (false friends) and
1. avenue
or
2. tree-lined road
is better for roads marked by trees.

The tag alley is already used for highway=service; service=alley for
narrow ways.

I think the second version “tree-lined” or ”tree_lined” is better than
“avenue”.
With this key we can use it for other lines of trees, for example near
railways, rivers and so on.

At the moment this tag is probably only mainly used in Germany:
http://osmdoc.com/de/tag/alley/#values
comparison: http://tagwatch.stoecker.eu/Germany/De/tags.html
key alley with values: both (251), right (27), left (26), yes (8)

My questions:
Would we like to change this tag?

Robert