[OSM-talk] [tagging] alley - for tree-lined roads?

Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.au.dk
Tue Nov 3 20:04:23 GMT 2009

On 03/11/2009, at 16.53, Mike Harris wrote:

> I don't especially like "tree-lined" - but at least it says what it
> means and avoids the linguistic mess!

Although most allée's have trees lining both left and right sides, the
tagging should provide for those instances where trees are only on one
side of the street. Therefore, we might want:

   tree_lined=right
   tree_lined=left
   tree_lined=yes (meaning both left & right)

This is a bit different though, from cycle tracks, that are often
tagged e.g.

   bicycle:right = track
   bicycle:left = lane

so perhaps it would make sense to stay within that nomenclature. That
implies something like:

   trees:right = lined
   trees:left = lined
   trees=yes

It might also be of interest to specify the number of trees, in which
case you might imagine:

trees:right = 29

Just some food for thought :-)

Cheers,