[OSM-talk] [tagging] alley - for tree-lined roads?

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Tue Nov 3 21:08:54 GMT 2009

Liz wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:
>>    tree_lined=right
>>    tree_lined=left
>>    tree_lined=yes (meaning both left & right)

I don't like it that much (don't like the cycleway:left/right tags
either, though). I'd prefer an integration into a generally usable lane
model with information about lane ordering. Then I could also map that
road with tree lines *between* pavement and car lanes properly.

I guess it's ok as a temporary solution ...

> left and right compared to what??
> I'm going to go one way down the street and mark the trees on the left, and
> you are going to go the other way down the street and mark the trees on the
> right.

As with all left/right tags (as well as forward/backward, up/down,
oneway, incline, etc.), this would certainly refer on the way's
direction in the OSM database.

Tobias Knerr