[OSM-talk] Why do you use Google Maps instead of OSM? Because of buildings...

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Fri Nov 6 17:31:44 GMT 2009

On 6 Nov 2009, at 17:08, Ed Avis wrote:

> I realize that 'OSM is about data, not slippy maps', and that OSM
> 'downstream'
> organizations such as Cloudmade provide custom-rendered maps for
> websites.
> But even Cloudmade's styles all show buildings; they don't seem to
> have a
> drop-in replacement for Google or Bing Maps.

You can turn the buildings off in the CloudMade Style Editor. Here is
an example style that I created in a matter of minutes:
http://maps.shaunmcdonald.me.uk/?lat=51.520761&lng=-0.098104&zoom=14&layer=1
Switch between the first two items in the style switcher to see the
difference of the one setting in the Style Editor.

Shaun