[OSM-talk] Potlatch, dual carriageways, and a broken changeset

Michal Migurski mike at stamen.com
Sat Nov 7 02:20:50 GMT 2009

Ah, that makes sense.

Frustrating, frustrating sense. =)

I didn't even see a padlock, just noticed that they were a funny color.

My suggestion, completely uninformed by the reality of maintaining the
Potlatch codebase, is that you ditch the "locked ways" feature, and
instead make sure that multi-level undo is completely bulletproof. It
seems weird that some ways are not like other ways, esp. when they're
created by a built-in feature of the app. All of this assumes of
course that you're editing in save mode, not live mode. Maybe save
mode should be further distinguished from live mode by the absence of
these kinds of mistake-avoidance features?

A stop gap might be better visual indication on the locked way itself,
and ditching the "lock" terminology. The choice of red makes me think
that the way is "really there" when it sounds like the reverse is
true. What if it was dashed or translucent, a ghost-thing that looks
like it's not fully part of the rest of the map? The best analogy to
this I can think of is Adobe Illustrator's guides feature. Maybe when
you mouse over such a way it says "hi, I'm not really here".

Anyway.

-mike.