[OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal -Voting - (man_made=mineshaft)

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Sat Nov 7 17:40:15 GMT 2009

Lesi writes:
 > I do not know which discussion you mean?
 > According to the wiki voting is still neccessary to approve a new feature.

What negative result do you fear would occur if somebody used[1] an
unapproved feature?

[1] That is, they tagged something as documented in the wiki, even if
the documentation is to be found in Proposed Features?  I'm not a big
fan of chaotic mapping, where people apply tags randomly without
understanding how they're documented in the wiki, or apply tags
without documenting their meaning in the wiki.

IMHO, everything underneath Proposed_features should be moved into the
"real" wiki
(e.g. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Key:stop
should be moved to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:stop) and
the feature should be labelled with 1) its current level of usage and
2) a measure of its controversiality (red / yellow / green).

That would make it easier for OSM editors to point people to
documentation.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-323-1241
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog