[OSM-talk] Why do you use Google Maps instead of OSM? Because of buildings...

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Sat Nov 7 18:08:54 GMT 2009

On 7 Nov 2009, at 13:32, Anthony wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 7, 2009 at 4:00 AM, Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason
> <avarab at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, we know that everyone could probably use OSM maps for their
>> business website if they spent a week surveying their surrounding
>> area
>> / creating custom renderings. But that's not very helpful when they
>> can just embed Google instantly and get the same results.
>
> If they spent a week surveying their surrounding area they could
> probably get much better results than Google.
>
> If what they want is exactly what Google provides, there's really no
> way to compete against that.

Maybe we need some method for companies/organisations to be able to
say that an area isn't surveyed to a level they want and that they
would like a particular area to be surveyed to a higher degree for a
specific purpose. OpenStreetBugs is more for point errors, rather than
larger problems. Maybe OSB needs to be exposed more?

Shaun