[OSM-talk] Feature request: Get history of object only partly

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Thu Nov 12 16:40:08 GMT 2009

On 12 Nov 2009, at 16:29, Andre Hinrichs wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Sometimes histories of objects become very long and therefore history
> requests of such objects take long and likely stress the API too.
>
> Thus, I think it is useful to be able to get only a portion of the
> history (e.g. a specific range of the most recent ones).
>
> Maybe it's also useful to query a specific version of an object. In this
> case there could be a query for some kind of history overview of this
> object only listing the version, date, changeset and user.
>
> Since this will be a change in the API I'd like to request this feature
> for the next API version.
>
> Or are there already any plans for this?
>
> Any thoughts?

This does not need an API version change.

You can already get a specific version of a node/way/relation. You append the version number to the url (after a forward slash). For example:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/relation/73447/124
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/API_v0.6#Version:_GET_.2Fapi.2F0.6.2F.5Bnode.7Cway.7Crelation.5D.2F.23id.2F.23version>

The data browser needs to be updated to be able to show specific versions of each node/way/relations. I have been meaning to do it for a while now, just not had the time to get around to it.

Shaun