[OSM-talk] Addressing Question

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 19:41:18 GMT 2009

2009/11/12 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 9:14 AM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It's a fairly well established convention that in OSM it's the
>> houses/plots, not the road centrelines, that are addressed.
>
> But that doesn't always reflect reality.  The reality, at least in
> many parts of the world, is that the streets are given blocks of
> potential addresses, and the houses/plots/whatever are given actual
> addresses from those potential address blocks.

If we're going to go into detail, no type of interpolation reflects
reality, it's just interpolation.  It's there to help the mappers add
proper address / other information and in the meantime give users
approximate geocoding functionality.

If you look at TIGER a lot of it doesn't reflect reality, it just one step.

Cheers