[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Addressing Question

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Nov 12 23:43:42 GMT 2009

Hi,

Anthony wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 5:41 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
>> I would also strongly encourage you to use one such line on each side of the
>> road, instead of putting tags on the road itself. This makes it very clear
>> which side an address is on, better than any tags you can put on the way, no
>> matter how many "left/right" prefixes or suffixes you add to those tags.
>
> Would you map a "no right turn" as a node 7 meters behind and to the
> right of an intersection?  After all, that's "more or less what's on
> the ground".

I might be missing some irony here. I don't know the significance of "no
right turn" for you, and I don't know what it has to do with addressing.

Traffic signs, at least where I live, usually are there as a physical
reminder (or notification) of an abstract concept. The administration
makes a certain decision - for example, that parking should not be
allowed in a certain location, or a speed limit should be put in place,
or whatever. Then signs are put up to inform people of this decision.
The exact location of the signs is often an "implementation detail". The
sign itself is irrelevant; the abstract concept is what matters.

I try to map the abstract concept wherever possible. Consequently, I'd
map a "no right turn" as a relation involving two ways, and not in the
form of a traffic sign.

I consider interpolation ways to be an abstract thing also. To convey
the information, they need to be on each side of the road, but, if that
was your question, to me it doesn't matter whether they are a few
centimetres away from the road or 10 metres away. As long as there is no
doubt (for the person viewing the situation in an editor) which road
they belong to, it's fine. In practice it turns out that you often draw
the lines approximately where the houses would be on the ground, but to
me that is not relevant.

Bye
Frederik