[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Addressing Question

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 23:56:15 GMT 2009

2009/11/12 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
> I can see keeping it in a separate db, and really I'm leaning toward
> that as being the best option.
>
> What are the advantages of having this in the OSM db?  When the roads
> change, you're going to have to either re-survey the data or throw out
> the address ranges anyway.  The address ranges are pretty much only
> useful within the context of the original road centerlines.  Geocoding
> or reverse-geocoding software can connect between the two databases
> using latitude/longitude pairs.  I can't really see any point in
> integrating it.

On the other hand if you receive a data donation from a densely
built-up city's council then there will be more existing addresses
than non-existing ones in the area and it will be easier for local
mappers to start with all the possible interpolation ways and slowly
remove fragments than to survey with an empty map.  And will better
match reality.

Cheers