[OSM-talk] Will Google ever use OSM data?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 02:42:39 GMT 2009

2009/11/13 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
> Just copying it to their data center so it can sit on the hard drive
> doing nothing?  I'm mainly interested in whether or not their lawyers
> think they can do a mashup using CC-BY-SA data plus say proprietary
> aerial imagery, without releasing the aerial imagery under CC-BY-SA.
> I'm under the impression that the answer to that is "no".  Even moreso
> if "proprietary aerial imagery" is changed to say "proprietary street
> map data".

That might be the case if the data is a single image, but if there is
a base layer plus a data layer then what?

Also since the CC-BY-SA is the minority, not the base data it may
change things since the cc-by-sa is being added to something else,
rather than adding something else to the cc-by-sa data.

> I'm also under the impression that the ODbL allows this, which would
> mean they effectively *can* improve on the work without releasing the
> improvements under a free license, they just have to put the
> improvements in a separate layer.

Which is probably why they didn't want to touch OSM data since it
would be the base data and stuff would be added to it, rather than the
other way round.