[OSM-talk] What Streets are in what Places

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Fri Nov 13 09:04:03 GMT 2009

2009/11/13 John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>:
> 2009/11/13 Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org>:
>> My first though was for an generated list rather than entered
>> boarders, however thinking again this might need some human
>> intervention to work properly.
>
> Boundaries are just as much arbitary as they are geographically based etc
>
>> I'm not trying to reflect local government admin boarders, or postal
>> districts. more I need to go to High Street, Sudbury. I need to know
>
> I know exactly what you are talking about, in fact I've already
> attempted to do this already:

> Gympie township covers all or at last parts of Gympe, South Side,
> Monkland, Araluen, Jones Hill, Victory Heights....

I like it, but I wonder whether the place=city should be on the way
rather than on some miscellaneous node. I'm not sure I like the bodge
that is admin_level's I had always thought of them as government
administration borders. ....

I also see the current use of place nodes as "tagging" for the render
as when they get in the way they ten to get moved so somewhere more
convent for the mapper....

However they do server there purpose to mark town centres.

Peter.