[OSM-talk] bus route/relations done right

Jozef Riha jose1711 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 11:04:51 GMT 2009

hello all,

i'd like to review/finish mapping of bus/tram network during my stay
in bern (ch) and do this right so that no time is wasted fixing my
mistakes. i read through wiki pages but there're still some points
open. for my examples to be more explanatory please open the following
osm file which i'll be referring to. the download url is
http://nic-nac-project.org/~jose1711/donotdelete/bus_route.osm

i consider bus 1 route to be the correct way of entering a simple
route. backward/forward rules are based on the way's orientation, not
Terminus A -> Terminus B or vice versa orientation just as the wiki
says. what to do though when it's not really clear what way does the
bus stop belong to like in bus route 2? how do i know if it's forward
or backward role i should use when i don't know to which way the bus
stop is connected. consider that i may not be able to change
orientation (situation: oneway for cars, buses can drive both
directions). also, does the ways (segments) in relation need to be
ordered or this is mandatory for bus stops only?

next thing. i have seen many osm users create bus routes such as route
4, while i think the correct way is route 3. am i correct?

thank you for your comments,

jozef