[OSM-talk] What Streets are in what Places

Richard Bullock rb357 at cantab.net
Fri Nov 13 22:29:27 GMT 2009

> The problem with admin boundaries, here in the Uk anyway is that they
> have very little to do with the towns or places they actually are
> around.
>
> Admin_level tends to suggest a simple hierarchy that does not exists.
> and tends from what I've seen here to be related to govenment admin
> stration areas, Parish, Borough, County etc etc.

In parts of England, the parish boundary will give the best indication of
what village a street belongs to.

There are complications of course; some parishes will contain more than one
village; some larger places will be completely unparished - but in general
you may be able to use some of these as a first approximation.

Luckily, most parish boundaries should be visible on NPE or other
out-of-copyright maps