[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Karlruhe Scheme addressing ways from 2009 TIGER data

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 02:11:12 GMT 2009

On 14 Nov 2009, at 10:22 , Dave Hansen wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 23:56 -0800, Dan Homerick wrote:
>> i, Nov 13, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Apollinaris Schoell <aschoell at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>                I'm highly in favor of doing the import, regardless. I
>>                think the inaccuracies will be far easier to fix than
>>                to put the addressing in from scratch. I've done a lot
>>                of mapping in my area, but haven't been willing to
>>                start doing addresses, even before I knew that the
>>                TIGER import was coming down the line. I would be
>>                willing to search out and fix errors though, since all
>>                it will take is changing a few nodes.
>>

>>        That's just not happening. If bad data is in it's hard to
>>        verify it's wrong. If in doubt don't import. Empty map will
>>        tell everyone immediately there is work to do. Wrong data is
>>        hard to even figure out there is a need to survey.
>>

>> I'm not sure what you mean by, "That's just not happening." Clarify?
>
> I think he means that he'd prefer it not be imported.

not exactly, wherever it's good quality and no better data from county
available we should import.

> However, unless Apollinaris was appointed supreme OSM dictator and I
> missed it, I'm not sure it means any more than Apollinaris stating his
> opinion.

even SteveC isn't accepted as dictator. how would anyone listen to my
dictatorship

> If we can come up with a scheme for getting the addressing imported
> in a
> sane fashion and the consensus is that people want it done that way,
> it'll get imported.  There are still quite a few squeaky wheels that
> like to grumble about TIGER, but I haven't heard a single person say
> that it did more harm than good.

exactly, I do see a big problem for areas with existing address data.
before any upload this has to be respected and tiger addresses skipped
unless the mappers agree to remove their work.