[OSM-talk] Karlruhe Scheme addressing ways from 2009 TIGER data

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Nov 15 02:35:38 GMT 2009

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 9:05 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com> wrote:
> I agree with
> Anthony that these tags are useless *except* this one tag, the Id *is*
> useful, please don't remove it.

What's useful about it?  Or to ask the question a different way, what
is the tag supposed to mean?

On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 9:11 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com> wrote:
> To clarify what I mean, a good measure is probably whether you're
> changing the name on the road.  If you're changing the geometry
> (splitting, merging, whatever) or fixing the spelling or expanding
> abbrevs, keep the Id.  If you're changing the name to a whole
> different one, remove the id.

There must be a better way to compare the name of a road than counting
on all the editors to copy/preserve the tiger id.

When you merge two TIGER ways which id do you keep?  Or should you
keep them both (separated by a semicolon)?

Where is this documented?

Unless you can point me to some documentation as to what the tiger id
*means* (*), I'm not going to think about it at all.  Sometimes I keep
it, sometimes I delete it, sometimes I delete the whole way and create
a new one in its place (without any of the tiger tags).  And I'm sure
I'm not the only one.

(*) I take it to mean simply that the originally imported way came
from a certain TIGER way, which is preserved in the way history