[OSM-talk] Karlruhe Scheme addressing ways from 2009 TIGER data

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Sun Nov 15 17:00:04 GMT 2009

On Nov 14, 2009, at 11:16 AM, Dave Hansen wrote:
>> What really needs to be done for TIGER addresses import is match the
>> streets from TIGER to those in OSM (which should be easy since they
>> all still have the TIGER id's) and generate the address geometry based
>> on these.  Otherwise someone will need to do all of the geometry
>> corrections that people have done for this data in the last nearly 2
>> years.
>
> I agree that this is the optimal thing to do.  But it's really hard, so
> I'm not volunteering to take it on. If there's anyone out there braver
> than I, please speak up. :)

I hear you but for the purposes of just thinking about it... I think it might be a lot easier than we think.

Forget matching TIGER IDs... if I know a line segment goes from 15th & Valencia to 16th & Valencia in TIGER then all I need to find in the same set of points in the OSM dataset which isn't going to be super hard. I find 15th, I find Valencia, see if they cross at some node. Same with the other intersection, then see if those nodes are on a way that joins both of them and find the points in between. And as long as the geometry isn't radically different then I can match up the points.

I think the major problem would be divided highways where one way is now two ways with different directions, but that shouldn't be super hard to do.

Yours &c.

Steve