[OSM-talk] [Talk-us] Karlruhe Scheme addressing ways from 2009 TIGER data

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Tue Nov 17 01:03:22 GMT 2009

Andy Allan writes:
 > On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 2:34 PM, Russ Nelson <nelson at crynwr.com> wrote:
 > > should I waste my time, as you folks in the UK have **been forced** to
 > > waste your time reinventing an existing map?
 >
 > Sorry, which map have we reinvented?

If OSM is better than OS, then you've reinvented it -- but that work
was only necessary because your country doesn't put its map into the
public domain.  If it had, then you would have started with it, and
would now be arguing with the governments of X, Y, and Z that they
should put their map data into the public domain.

 > > We have a public domain
 > > map which we could start with.
 >
 > If all you're aiming for is a slightly better version of TIGER, then
 > it was worth starting with TIGER and that's pretty much all you'll
 > get. Oh, look, that's what happened.

Oh, look, we have 99% of all roads in the US in OSM.  Can you say that
about any other country besides the exceptional Germany and the (dare
I say it) imported Netherlands?

 > > Don't try to cast your impediment as an advantage.  It wasn't, and our
 > > advantage (sensible government policy) isn't an impediment.
 >
 > So let me get this straight, your public domain road shapefiles have
 > been an advantage? And therefore OSM is better in the US than in
 > Germany?

Andy, what you said does not follow logically.  "impediment" and
"advantage" refer to an amount of work, not quality.  It was easier to
get to where we are now, than it was for Germany to get to an
equivalent state (which was probably three years ago).  Germany has a
three year head start.  Naturally that's reflected in the quality of
OSM: much better in Germany than the US.

 > Geez, we're all sure hurting from a lack of imports over here. I
 > don't think you've really understood just *how* far behind you are
 > (precisely because of this "advantage", imo) and how much slower
 > things are progressing on your side of the Atlantic.

I don't think you understand how far we've come with so few people and
so little effort.

 > So please, turn away from imports and work on getting mappers in
 > charge, especially out pounding the streets. The outcome will be much,
 > much better in the end, and that end will come much, much quicker.

What's the rush?

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-323-1241
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog