[OSM-talk] OSM wiki autoconfirm settings

Kate maps2wiki at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 14:45:46 GMT 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 9:12 AM, Nakor <nakor.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> Reposting as I realize it did not go to talk list.
>

>> Kate,
>>
>> If you go to http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:ListGroupRights
>> you will see that autoconfirmed users does not have the skipcaptcha right so
>> that would need to be set in the first place.
>>
>> Additionnaly if you go to
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:Preferences you will see the
>> groups you are in. I am "autoconfirmed" with 315 edits and 2 month of
>> account existance. If you believe the description on the wiki, it says that
>> you need a 4-days old account to be autoconfirmed.
>>
>> Maybe this should be increased (or a minimum number of edits set) to
>> prevent spam but I agree with you that after a certain time we should not
>> see the captcha.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>>   N.

On Wikipedia, accounts are autoconfirmed if they are 4 days old and
have 10 edits.   I think we could try making it one week and 10 edits.
 I doubt we will have any added problem with spammers, but if we do,
then the settings could be adjusted as needed.

The default auto confirm settings are in includes/DefaultSettings.php;
on my personal wikis, auto confirm is not set by default -- it's zero
by default)  LocalSettings.php is used to override the defaults.

To set this, the skipcatcha right and autoconfirm settings can be
added in LocalSettings.php:

$wgGroupPermissions['autoconfirmed']['skipcaptcha']

$wgAutoConfirmAge = 86400*7; // seven days
$wgAutoConfirmCount = 10;

-Kate

PS - is there some better place than this list to request//suggest
such changes to the wiki?