[OSM-talk] ADDING THE ABILITY TO Mapping everything as areas

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Fri Nov 27 13:22:09 GMT 2009

Roy Wallace wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 5:49 PM, Lester Caine <lester at lsces.co.uk> wrote:
>> The bottom line is that while adding 'width' tags all the way along a road may
>> be a practical half way house, other area features are not handled the same way
>> so why should roads be any different.
>
> I think, because roads (ways) often need to have a direction. Hence
> our discussion about ways to model a "directed area", with 1) an
> ordered node-pair sequence or 2) a "multiplex" being 2 possible
> options so far...

My point here is that the WAY information provides all of the direction details.
The 'area' detail that is linked to that way will be more than JUST a simple
area profile, it will have details such as bridge structures, islands and the
like. The fine detail may well be some complex vector graphics, that really have
nothing to do with 'direction' except in so far as a motorway or the like may
well have two halves with traffic running in opposite directions. The area
detail is simple defined areas 'grouped' with the way or ways that make up the
route. And the one thing that has not yet been answered is the combination of
multiple vehicle, cycle and pedestrian ways which intertwine the length of some
of are routes which are currently define by a single way .... At present I am
holding off adding the footpaths around here until such time as there is
ACTUALLY a way of mapping the B4632 way along with the complex of paths which
vaguely follow it. Being able to accurately include the various grass verges,
hedge lines and crossovers would be nice ;) But at the macro level it is still a
single way ....

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL