[OSM-talk] Mapping everything as areas

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 20:37:00 GMT 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 5:47 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been seeing this thread develop, and apart from trying to use
> areas and relations in all sorts of weird and wonderful ways wouldn't
> it be simpler from a logical point of view to treat ways as a grouping
> of lanes and those lanes can be assigned tags that differ from the
> ways, such as directions.

Is a lane a directed area? If it isn't an area, then it's not really
relevant to this thread, is it?

> Using areas seems like a lot of work for no benefit if you just need a
> simple 2 lane road that has no foot paths or other interesting
> features.

Are you saying that you wouldn't find mapping areas satisfying? If so,
that's fine - you don't have to.

But for people who want to do it, they should be able to. That's what
this thread is about - giving them a way to map the world more
accurately, if that's what they're into.