[OSM-talk] Mapping everything as areas

Roy Wallace waldo000000 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 21:41:16 GMT 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 7:32 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Is a lane a directed area? If it isn't an area, then it's not really
>> relevant to this thread, is it?
>
> That depends if you are you only after opinions that agree with yours,
> or if you really want a solution to a problem.

Which "problem" are you talking about? For me, the problem is finding
a way to "map everything as areas". I don't see how your solution
addresses that problem. Please explain how tagging lanes helps with
"mapping everything as areas" (see the topic of this thread)...

>> Are you saying that you wouldn't find mapping areas satisfying? If so,
>> that's fine - you don't have to.
>
> The map data is already inconsistent for a variety of reasons, why
> make it even more so, I was pointing out a solution that builds upon
> the existing logic and can cascade rather than be forced to do a lot
> of extra work for no extra benefit.

Sounds great, but thus far I don't see how it helps with mapping areas...

>> But for people who want to do it, they should be able to. That's what
>> this thread is about - giving them a way to map the world more
>> accurately, if that's what they're into.
>
> Sure you can go map sewers if you want, but you are describing a
> radical change that is in conflict with vast amounts of existing map
> data. My suggestion was to build on the existing data and cascade down
> to further describe it at a smaller level.

Again, sounds great. But please describe a way to map everything as
areas - or perhaps it is worthwhile starting a new thread?