[OSM-talk] Using osmosis with --bounding-polygon

David Paleino dapal at debian.org
Sat Nov 28 11:47:52 GMT 2009

Hello people,
I would've sent this to osmosis-talk@, but we only have osmosis-dev@ there
:) -- sorry if this might be slightly OT here.

I'm trying to create small dumps following some administrative borders. For
example, starting from the Italy planet, I'd like to create dumps of regions
and provinces.

Here's what I did:

a) download the members of the proper relation with JOSM (maybe I could
   automate this with osmosis)
b) manually edit (some scripting will soon come) the ways to remove <tag
   k='*' v='*' /> and only add polygon_file="foo.poly" and
   polygon_id="way_N"
c) give this .osm to osm2poly, and hijack the output to "foo.poly" [1]
d) run osmosis (from the SVN checkout, in my case) on it:

$ bin/osmosis --read-api left=12.373 right=12.886 bottom=37.573 top=37.89 \
> --bounding-polygon file="../mazara.poly" idTrackerType="BitSet" \
> completeWays="yes" --write-xml file="../mazara-poly.osm"

What I get in "mazara-poly.osm" is some ways, not all the objects contained
within the polygon.

If I skip "completeWays=yes", I'm only getting a bunch of nodes (the dump
seems ok, but josm only shows some nodes).

With completeWays=yes, I'm getting _some_ ways, i.e. those crossing the
borders of the polygon, plus some others inside (connected to the former
ones). But I'm not getting (almost) any way starting and ending within the
polygon, nor any node/building/anything else. I'm also getting a small
adjacent administrative border, but this would be a minor issue at the
current state.

Any help would be much apreciated :)

Kindly,
David