[OSM-talk] Mapping everything as areas

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Nov 28 23:18:06 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 8:11 AM, Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org> wrote:
> Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason's diary entry last week (http://j.mp/8ESP8o)
> stired my interest. Using a few examples, he showed how mapping
> everything as an area - or as a volume - makes ultimate sense. Should we
> go for it now ?

Ævar's example is interesting.  Looks like somebody is doing some
area- / micro- mapping in OSM as well. Open this in an editor to see
all of the detail work.
http://bestofosm.org/?type=mapnik&lon=11.42994&lat=51.30053&zoom=18

Some will look at this and say, "Too much!  Impractical!  We must map
City $n first."  Others will say, "Where is the detail?  I don't see
catch-basins.  Where are the expansion joints in the sidewalk?  No
height tag for the curb; what shoddy work!  That mapper hasn't drawn
areas for the painted lines on the road!"

Each of us will have a different perspective on how much detail is
enough or too much.  Why not show us your examples as Ævar and Mirko
Küster have.  I think that there are a number of interesting
challenges ahead for area- / micro- mapping.  And probably some
breathtaking renderings.